Re: [TowerTalk] PST61 Rotor Reliability?

To: k7lxc@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PST61 Rotor Reliability?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 14:04:23 -0700

Thanks for the reply, Steve, but I'm sorry ... that doesn't make sense.  Torque is torque, and it's in the same direction no matter which side of the mast is applying the torque.

Picture this ... I have a turnstile on the ground with one long pole clamped to it.  I get Person A to push one end of the pole clockwise (when viewed from above) and Person B to push clockwise on the other end of the pole.   Now I add a second pole to the turnstile, but I clamp it to the turnstile on the opposite side of the turnstile from the first pole.  I add Person C and Person D to push the second pole ... also in a clockwise direction.  All four people are pushing clockwise and their torque vectors add.

Again, it is important to understand that I get strong SWIRLING wind gusts ... literally mini-tornadoes.  If one of them (I'm going to assume it is swirling counterclockwise when viewed from above) hits my tower head on from the south, and my boom happens to be oriented east-west, half of the swirling wind tries to push the eastern half of the boom north while the other half of the swirling wind is trying to push the western end of the boom south.  Those are additive torques no matter which side of the mast the boom is attached to.  And if you think about it, the same problem exists no matter which direction I have the antennas pointed.

73,
Dave   AB7E

On 12/10/2017 11:36 AM, k7lxc@aol.com wrote:

    >  The problem is that in the springtime when it gets really windy here,
    the high ridge line to the west and south of me blocks those
    prevailing
    winds and turns them into swirling wind gusts that AVERAGE
    anywhere from
    50 mph to 80 mph about every three to five minutes ... with peaks
    sometimes reaching 90 mph on a bad day. When those swirlers hit the
    tower head on, the forces on each end of the boom don't balance
    ... they
    add. The resultant torque on the mast must be tremendous, and in any
    case it eventually managed to strip the gears in the NE position.

        If the antennas are mounted on the same side of the mast -
    yes, the additive torque is significant. My advice is to mount the
    antennas on opposite sides of the mast. That way, much of the
    torque is cancelled out. Dick Weber pointed this out in a QEX
    article years ago. That should have positive effects on your
    rotator as well.

    Cheers,

    Steve    K7LXC

    TOWER TECH