Re: [TowerTalk] Kohler home generator hash?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Kohler home generator hash?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 10:21:10 -0800
On 1/16/2018 8:29 AM, John Huecksteadt wrote:
Last year my neighbor bought a new Lennox "Green" A/C. That simply means the fan on the outside unit is variable speed. The local Lennox shop replaced the DC unit with one that was supposed to fix the problem. Didn't. He claims the whole unit is run on DC now. Ongoing issue. Horrible noise on several bands.

Variable-speed motor controllers are a well-known source of RF noise. The mfr should provide a suppression kit. A good ferrite choke on the drive cable between motor and controller may also fix it. See my website for choosing the ferrite and winding the choke, following guidelines for coax of size comparable to the cable you're choking. Study the Ham's Guide to RFI and Building Contest Scores by Killing RX Noise.

73, Jim K9YC