Re: [TowerTalk] Square Hole or Round Hole for Self Supporter?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Square Hole or Round Hole for Self Supporter?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 07:47:05 -0600
Matt, Drillers who will come out in rural south central Oklahoma aren't in good supply.  I searched a lot and found two.  Best deal of the two for a 5 ft diameter hole 8 ft deep was $2000 and I was responsible if they broke a tooth and I was responsible for a commercial tow rig in case they got stuck.

I knew they wouldn't get stuck but I have no experience re breaking teeth on their machine so I was a tad leery and used a local "dirt contractor" who charged $80 to dig my hole with a backhoe.

How does $2000 for 5 ft diameter 8 ft deep compare to your experiences? This was for digging through clay, sandy clay and maybe some soft sand rock.  Sand rock is a local name for a type of sand stone that crumbles by hand strength alone and digs pretty easy with backhoe.

Patrick        NJ5G