Re: [TowerTalk] Square Hole or Round Hole for Self Supporter?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Square Hole or Round Hole for Self Supporter?
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 22:19:27 -0500
I have round concrete bases on my all of my towers however they have guys
and pier pin bases so there is no torque on the concrete. With a free
standing tower there is torque, I guess you're saying that the ground
friction of a round section of concrete is sufficient to prevent the tower
from rotating?

John KK9A

From:   jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date:   Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:59:00 -0800

Nope.. Here in Southern California, there's a big business in drilling holes
to be used as foundations for things like traffic lights (huge bending
moment) - you can drill a 4 foot diameter 20 foot deep hole where the
sidewalk is, lower a rebar cage in, and fill it with concrete to make a very
solid pier for the traffic light to bolt to.

The whole "cube" is mostly because it's easy to dig by hand/backhoe, and
easy to calculate.