Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Square Hole or Round Hole for Self Supporter?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Square Hole or Round Hole for Self Supporter?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 10:39:44 -0800
On 1/26/18 9:51 AM, Fred Keen via TowerTalk wrote:
My Ryerson book is not handy, but there is some serious weight in a wide flange, say 8' or
10" web that is 20'0 long. And then there is consideration for the "fixed to
ground" part.

8" either 18.4 or 23 lb/ft (skinny web or thick web)

so 20 ft is on the order of 4000 lb. you might not even need ground anchors<grin>

Actually, if your ground anchors are suitable, you could use lengths of antenna/tower truss for this. If the free standing antenna can take that bending moment at the base, then the same antenna component laid on its side can take the same bending moment.

I think this goes to the whole answer: There's a lot of ways to solve the problem other than a cube of concrete.

I've given a lot of thought over the years to the "strut braced" (or "flying buttress" if you will) approach, for rapid field deployment.

I've also looked into what professional riggers do for this kind of thing - you can rent large 5000 pound (approx) blocks of concrete with a big loop in the top you can anchor a guy to. Or a FIBC (Flexible Intermediate Bulk Carrier) which holds about a cubic yard of, say, gravel (which also weighs about 5000 lb). You could buy a few yards of gravel in FIBCs, then sell it when you're done.

ANother approach is concrete K-rail/Jersey barrier - about 4000 lb, 10 ft long, 24in wide and 32in tall, according to google. Caltrans pays 0.46/hour per 20foot section - call that about $12/day, and the rental company will come out and place it for you.
Another place I found quotes $100/month per 20 foot stick.

For field day, perhaps....

Fred KC5YN

     On Friday, January 26, 2018 9:41 AM, Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>