Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearings

To: knowkode@verizon.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearings
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 14:17:26 -0700
What IS required is a radial bearing for flat plate top towers. A thrust bearing is only needed if the dead load exceeds the rotator capacity, which takes quite an antenna stack.  The bearings in rotators are generally of an angular contact design. Angular contact bearings are used when a combination of positive or negative thrust and radial loads are applied such as in milling machine tool spindles.  In those applications they are made to super tight tolerances and provided in back to back matched pairs so that clamping them tightly together provides the needed preload so the spindle doesn't move radially or axially.  So to enable rotators with single angular contact bearings to handle the thrust and moment/radial loads they need preload.  The HD rotators with two opposing races are better able to handle the loads both ways, although I think the tolerances are pretty large and preloads are low/none.  They are much better at resisting an applied moment such as a rotator with an unsupported mast above.

UST crankups (like my HDX589s) have a 5" long pipe sleeve, hot dip galvanized, which a 2" mast slips into, so there is no thrust capacity.  Zn on Zn galvanizing is the "bearing" but lasts.  My Orion 2800 is rated 1800# thrust load and the Yaesu 2800 in the other is rated 661#, so not a problem for my mast plus antenna loads.  btw the Orion has separate radial and thrust ball bearings to get the capacity.

For towers with a flat top plate, my choice is to use a UV resistant UHMW block bored to just oversize the mast diameter and 2 to 4" thick depending on the antennas above. Bolt pattern per the tower top plate.  No maintenance, no ball/race fretting (the pits you saw), no water ingress worries, and lasts a long time. Other plastics work and some have posted that they use a rot resistant hardwood block such as white oak or teak.

I haven't held a DXE bearing but the design is better than Rohn or Yaesu and given my experience with other DXE fabricated parts I suspect the materials are superior as well.  Their Summit Racing heritage shows.  My prior experience with Yaesu and Rohn "thrust" bearings matches yours or worse.

Grant KZ1W