Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR
From: "dj7ww@t-online.de" <dj7ww@t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 22:26:39 +0200 (CEST)
Jim,

You did not mention before that the installation of a vane becomes necessary
when you mount the boom at it´s center!

With that vane I agree that the antenna is torque balanced but you need more
counter weight.

With the boom just mounted at it´s center, the wind pressure on the boom will
be much higher on the side with the longer elements whatever counter weight you
place on the side with the shorter elements and cause turning force on the
antenna..

To prevent that I mount the antennas on a temporary mast on the ground and
shift the mounting point until the antenna is not turned anymore by wind.

If that is finished I counter weight the boom at the director ends until the
boom is straight when hung on my overhead rope so mechanically balanced.

Therefore none of my 8 long boom yagis is mounted at the boom center and even
the 40m yagi is mounted 1m off center.

73
Peter

-----Original-Nachricht-----