Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire measurments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire measurments
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 09:58:13 -0400
If you ONLY need to measure impedance, then you do not need to set the
analyzer to a specific port Z.  That's for OSL calibration, directly
measuring SWR, and some other line optimization tools.

If you've not yet conducted OSL calibration and the device was purchased new
by you, then you can likely ignore OSL calibration for now.  Still, it's a
good idea to get comfortable with the cal routine.  It's very easy once you
have a OSL calibration set.

The RigExpert line of CIAs are battery operated and ground independent.  You
can connect the balanced line directly to the UHF/N jack.  I use a PL259 to
dual-banana adapter.  Just connect the analyzer to your balanced line and
take a complex impedance reading.  It's that simple.  You'll still need to
take the impedance result and apply it to your tasks at hand.

Paul, W9AC