Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire measurments

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire measurments
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 12:58:16 -0700
Okay,

1)  Measuring the impedance of the line isn't a trivial undertaking.  The conventional method (with a device such as yours) is to make two reflection measurements, one with the line open-circuit and the other with a short-circuit. The equations for calculating line parameters are out there, but a better way is to use AC6LA's "Zplots" program (https://ac6la.com/zplots1.html)

As has been suggested elsewhere in this thread, you might be tempted to try connecting the balanced line to the unbalanced test port of the analyzer, in the belief that since it is a "floating" device it's also "balanced".  This has not worked for me.  I believe the reason for this is thus:  With an open, short or other pair of highly reflective loads, the loads are not only terminations, they are balanced sources too. The terminations for these signals propagating in the reverse direction is the instrument, which with OSL calibration is mathematically "perfect" except, if for no reason other than its physical size, isn't perfectly balanced. So the line radiates; it's part transmission line and part antenna.

(I was actually trying to quantify this on a 100' length of window line out in the yard but when the temperature hit 100 degrees, I decided to wait until cooler WX.) For true open wire line, I think you would do just fine using the equations, which work well.

2)  I'm not sure you mean measure the antenna impedance at its terminals or through the line at a different feedpoint.  If the latter then you don't really have to know the line parameters anyway.  You take what you get and match it, which is pretty much why you use low-loss lines in the first place.

3)  If you are going to stub match then you don't need to fuss with impedance transforming baluns.  Use a good common-choke, appropriate for the frequency and stub-match to 50 ohm.

Wes  N7WS