Re: [TowerTalk] Weekend from hell

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weekend from hell
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 18:13:04 -0800
On 11/18/2019 5:25 PM, john nistico wrote:
Ok so my neighbor claims I am coming through the speaker of their alarm system.
The other neighbor claims the microvave. I am running a Yaesu 5000 150 watts to
an inverted v with the apex at 85 feet fed with hardline. This only happens
when I am on 80 meters, 3705 is where I was when the first call came in. So I
can't figure it out nothing in my house or any other houses is effected.

Alarm systems are notoriously bad at RF susceptibility. Some use the AC line for signalling, many use dedicated wiring that is not twisted pair. Both make the systems sitting ducks for RF. Tell them to call the installer or mfr.

Microwave ovens have speakers?

Neither of these can be caused by anything on your end. If you want to be a good neighbor, study my applications note on killing RX noise, but in reverse -- that is, use the choke guidelines for the cables connected to the victim equipment, as close as possible to each piece of equipment. For that microwave, I'd use guidelines from my new Choke Cookbook.

Other comments. The earth is not a sump into which noise is pumped.

73, Jim K9YC