[TowerTalk] Measuring cable length using TLW and an antenna analyzer wit

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Measuring cable length using TLW and an antenna analyzer without a TDR function
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 15:17:32 -0700

You don't need an antenna analyzer with a TDR function to accurately measure transmission line length.  This method is really simple (more so than it looks), and it actually manually mimics a TDR function anyway (explanation for that below).

You do need an antenna analyzer that gives you complex impedance readings, though, or at least use some method that will give you complex values from scalar readings.  I use an FA-VA5, but you can now get various versions of the remarkable NanoVNA for less than $50 that will give you accuracy at HF that is essentially indistinguishable from lab grade equipment.  I would have killed for this kind of capability years ago.

My procedure is:

1.  Connect your analyzer to an available end of the transmission line.

2.  Estimate the maximum length of transmission line under test.

3.  Take complex impedance readings (R  +/-  jX) at a few frequencies appropriate for the length of the line you are trying to measure.  Your lowest frequency should represent a quarter wavelength shorter than your estimate of the maximum transmission line length, and the other (higher) frequencies should be within a range that represents some few multiples of quarter wavelengths. Try to stay away from frequencies that are harmonically related. See my example below.

4.  Load each of the measurements you have taken into TLW, the free transmission line application that comes with any ARRL Antenna Book published over the last several years.  Be sure to pick the appropriate cable type and enter a length greater than you expect the cable to be.

5.  For each measurement enter the frequency, resistance, and reactance (don't forget the sign).  Select "Input", "Resist/Reac.", and click on "Graph".

6.  You will now see a graph of the transformed impedance as a function of the distance from the end of the transmission line that you took the readings.  The red line is the resistive portion, and the green line is the reactance.  Note that the middle of the reactance scale is zero ... not the bottom.

7.  Hover your mouse cursor over the reactance (green) line at the zero (middle) point).  Jot down the length for every place the green lines crosses zero.

8.  Repeat this for every frequency measurement you have taken.  Be sure to re-click "Graph" each time you update the data.

9.  Compare the reactance zero crossing lengths for every frequency.  There will be only one length that was found for every frequency.

I happened to have a length (rough guess 200 feet long) of LMR-400 coax laying on the ground after some work I recently did on my 160m Inverted-L, so just now I went out and took the following readings:

2 MHz    58  +  j206
3 MHz    3.7  -  j16.3
4 MHz    24  +  j96
5 MHz    6.7  +  j30.5
6 MHz    10.3  +  j48.5
8 MHz    12.4  +  j43
10 MHz   9.2  +  j13.5

Loading each of those sets of readings into TLW (I set the maximum length to be 250 feet) gives the following lengths where the reactance line crosses zero.  You can load these same numbers in TLW yourself to see how this works.

2 MHz    196
3 MHz    56, 196
4 MHz    89, 194
5 MHz    29, 113, 195
6 MHz    53, 121, 193
8 MHz    39, 91, 144, 195, 248
10 MHz    25, 68, 109, 151, 194, 234

I'd put my money on 194 feet being pretty close to the right length.

In this case, the one measurement at 2 MHz pretty much tells the story, but in general you may not have a good guess at the length, especially for shorter legnths where you're using higher frequencies. In addition, the multiple frequencies tend to average out any jitter for any one frequency reading.  In my experience, as few as three well-chosen readings does a pretty good job.

This technique actually is very similar to what a TDR does, except the one described here is a lot more manual.  A TDR does a frequency sweep and takes complex impedance readings at multiple frequencies. It does an inverse FFT on that data to get back to the time domain, and then uses the propagation factor of the line to convert time to distance.  The more hits for any particular impedance as a function of frequency, the more bits in the relevant time bucket.  We just did pretty much the same thing manually.

Opens and shorts in TLW are pretty obvious, but it would be almost impossible to use TLW to find a fixed element network since reactance is a function of frequency and would be different for each graph.  So just for grins I generated a spreadsheet that takes readings at three frequencies, uses the transmission line transformation formula to calculate the transformed impedance for every foot on transmission line, converts the reactance to inductance or capacitance as the case may be, and looks for the place on the line where the fixed element values are the same for the three frequencies (within a specified tolerance).  It works, although I had to do it in Open Office Calc because my 2010 version of EXCEL doesn't do inverse trig functions on complex numbers, but I have to admit that I can't think of an obvious situation where it would be useful.   I only mention it to point out what can be done with fairly simple readings.

At this point I'm kind of curious to know if anyone bothered to read all of this ... ;)

I'm even more interested to know if anyone has spotted obvious errors in any of it.

73,
Dave   AB7E