[TowerTalk] Galvenized Monopole Foundation

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Galvenized Monopole Foundation
From: Jonathan - KE0YBL via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 22:41:10 +0000
Hello Esteemed Cloud Climbers :)

I may be acquiring a self-supporting ~85ft (after assembled) galvanized steel
monopole. Its diameter is graduated from a ~5ft base to 2ft on top (3
sections). I'm planning to use it for rotated amateur radio HF/VHF beams. I've
spoken with the tower brand (a local company) that will sell me the concrete
bolt kit (a couple dozen ~6' bolts), but they're not able to provide any other
details about the tower or concrete footing requirements. Apparently each tower
is built by different manufacturers based on needs, but they don't track them
by serial number - just slap their brand name on it. They all use the same bolt
types by their spec. I'm sure they're not able to provide me footing
requirements for liability reasons, since I'm not the original purchaser.

I'm wondering if any of you have reasonable options for footing design without
spending too much on engineering costs. I understand the foundation costs will
be non-trivial - pricey bolts, fairly extensive rebar cage, significant block
of concrete, etc. My local code requirements don't require actual engineering
details.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jonathan