Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

To: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 14:08:50 -0700

On 10/27/2020 1:53 PM, Gedas wrote:
Hi Rick, very interesting. Did you have any matching network at the base where the coax connected to the vertical? If not I would have expected significant losses resulting in possibly lower received signals from the 1/2-wave vertical.

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Of course I had a matching network for the 1/2 wave
vertical.  It consisted of a high voltage air variable
capacitor and a coil with a selectable tap point.
Easy to get 1:1 SWR.  The drive impedance was around
1 k ohm, using 2 inch tubing for the element.

I should have mentioned that both verticals were
legal limit transmitting antennas.  The receive
testing was doing on the basis of received signal
strength, not signal to noise ratio.

Rick N6RK