Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?
From: "J.P." <jp@ezoom.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 11:32:02 -0700
OK Karen.

On 10/28/2020 10:51 AM, Robert Harmon wrote:
There's no need for the sarcasam Rob.

Rick made some valid points based on his tests which should not be discounted.
Bob
K6UJ

On Oct 28, 2020, at 8:51 AM, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com> wrote:

Let me again emphasize that I compared received signal strength
(not SNR) which is a proxy for transmitted signal strength if
you believe in reciprocity.  It is true that it is not extremely
accurate due to fading, but if the half wave vertical over bare
dirt were as poor as some are saying, it would be apparent.

In this case reciprocity may not exist.  Also, if you are measuring
skywave received signals, there are variables that are not being
controlled.  You also compared the radialess half wave with a 90
degree vertical with some N number of radials.  Compare the half wave
with another half wave that has an adequate ground system.   I'll save
some time:  Your method is flawed and not all that useful.

On 20 meters, why would I care about ground wave performance?  Only
sky wave is relevant on that band, and we can't assume that the
two are necessarily correlated.

You didn't say what frequency you were on previously.   Okay, conduct
the test using a FIM of the space wave.

Why do hams continually try to find a way around the laws of physics?
Live with Mother Nature; don't fight her.  Happiness and better
signals will result.

73
Rob
K5UJ