Re: [TowerTalk] Outside box for coax runs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Outside box for coax runs
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 10:38:23 -0700
On 5/14/2024 9:32 AM, Mike Fatchett W0MU wrote:
Thanks all for the suggestions so far.  I am a KF7P customer.  I did not know about his boxes but they do look very nice.

Inspired by KF7P's, I built this box with W6GJB's help (he made right angle brackets to mount arrestors) I built a panel from a large hinged-lid Hoffman box that I bought from a local electrical supplier. It holds 8 of the WX0B arrestors. Coax enters at the bottom, through electrical cable clamps designed standard to power wiring. Coax from arrestors goes through two pieces of large PVC conduit that stub through the wall to my radios. The box is mounted to the exterior wall just below my operating desk.

k9yc.com/ArrestorPanelOpen.jpg
k9yc.com/CoaxPanel-1.jpg

It's been in for 5 years, and has worked well. I like the WX0B arrestors for their circuitry, because the elements are user replaceable, and because replacing them is a one-man job. The Polyphasers are a throw-away, and replacing them is a two-man job. K6XX built my first panel, shown on the right in the second photo. As arrestors on that panel fry (lightning, operator error -- wrong antenna), I've migrated the antennas to the new panel.

73, Jim K9YC