Re: [TowerTalk] Outside box for coax runs

To: George Skoubis <geo.skoubis@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Outside box for coax runs
From: Larry Schulman <k9iqbikes@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 21:09:42 -0500
I am coming in at the tail end of this conversation, so I may not be
addressing all the issues involved  in this conversation on enclosures.  My
background is 50 years in electrical construction, and I have ordered many
different off the shelf pull boxes and specified custom pull boxes.
Hoffman, as well as Milbank and Wiegman pull boxes are generally available
at local electrical supply houses and some of the big Box stores like Home
Depot, Lowe's and Menards.  These brands overlap ,but Hoffman has the
largest catalog.  The pull boxes that most of us hams would use would be of
3 different NEMA configurations.  NEMA 1, which is for general indoor use,
and not weathertight.  Next is NEMA 3R, which is raintight.  The last class
we would generally have use for is NEMA 4, which is the same as NEMA 3R
with the addition of protection from a stream of water from a hose.  The
NEMA 3R and NEMA 4 boxes do not have any opening for raceways.  Any holes
for conduits or cables have to be by the user via drills, hole says or
knockout pullers.  The NEMA 3R boxes will usually have holes through the
back of the respective pull box for mounting.  Sources the local electrical
supply house, a much smaller selection via the big box stores and Ebay.
Just make sure you buy pull boxes big enough for the project.  Don't skimp
on size.

Try to use a raceway system and the appropriate connectors for cables if
possible to enter and exit your pull box.  If you have to enter or exit the
pull box without the use of conduit, provide bushings for the cables.. Use
a removable sealant around cables, like Duct Seal putty (available through
Home Depot) to prevent critters from entering the pull box. .

Larry-K9IQ