Re: [TowerTalk] Outside box for coax runs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Outside box for coax runs
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 19:40:26 -0700
On 5/14/2024 7:09 PM, Larry Schulman wrote:
  Don't skimp
on size.

Try to use a raceway system and the appropriate connectors for cables if
possible to enter and exit your pull box.  If you have to enter or exit the
pull box without the use of conduit, provide bushings for the cables.. Use
a removable sealant around cables, like Duct Seal putty (available through
Home Depot) to prevent critters from entering the pull box. .

YES on all!

Before heading to the big box stores for the big box whose photo I posted (where I got blank stares and no stock), I got prices on the internet. Also got a blank stare from the "nose in the air" contractor vendor who looked down on me because I wasn't a contractor. Good news is that a really good (but smaller) electrical supply store in town didn't give me a blank stare, treated me well, had three of them in stock, knew exactly what I wanted and where they were. Maybe 10% more than buying online, and I WANT to support GOOD local businesses like theirs. I was happy to carry it out of the store.

I have very limited experience in electrical construction, but enough to know to pay attention to exactly the issues Larry has pointed out. My cables enter from the bottom, the cable clamps, combined with wrapping the coax with enough tape to fill the opening with the clamps tightened, prevent both moisture and insects, the cable paths are very smooth, straight into the shack. Arrestors are mounted on Al backplate, which is bonded to the half-perimeter, multi-rod, ground system immediately adjacent.

BTW -- in my photo, the smaller box to the right of the old panel carries control lines for two rotators and a SteppIR, all on barrier strips.

I remember looking at KF7P's panels; mine have several advantages, including a layout that allowed more arrestors. This was 6-8 years ago; don't know what he's doing now.

73, Jim K9YC