Re: [TowerTalk] Junk Coonectors (was Re: How lossy are PL-259s at HF?)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Junk Coonectors (was Re: How lossy are PL-259s at HF?)
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 14:55:56 -0500
Hi Pete,

I have had good experience with the DX Engineering patented PL-259 connectors. Unlike some other crimp connectors that I have purchased elsewhere, the build quality has been very consistent. The connectors are easy to assemble with a proper crimp tool, and I find the knurling on the outer shell to be superior to even the Amphenol connectors. I also prefer the soldered center pin over other PL-259 crimp connectors which do not require center pin soldering.

While I have used them primarily for indoor applications (short jumpers and longer amplifier-to-antenna switch connections) I have also used the DXE PL-259's outdoors with no problems whatsoever. Naturally, proper weatherproofing is always very important for any outdoor antenna connector. I would give them a try; I don't think that you will be disappointed.

(Just a satisfied customer.)

—Kirk K4RO