[VHFcontesting] Use of dipoles for 6meter Ragchew & Contesting...

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Use of dipoles for 6meter Ragchew & Contesting...
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com (Jimk8mr@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:02 2003
I've used a six meter dipole in temporary situations, and have been well
pleased with the performance/(cost+hassle) ratio.

I build it using a support structure of 1/2" PVC pipe, with a Tee connector
in the middle (to be able to break it down for transport), and a short
downward stub to give some mechanical support for the coax.  I put ring
terminals on the end of the coax and on the two wires and connect them with
screws.  I just tape or tie wrap the wire to the outside of the PVC.

This can then be pulled up into a tree with a single rope (string for
temporary installation).  It may rotate in the wind, but on calm days you can
turn it by grabbing the coax at the ground and twisting.

I've used this at Field Day and at a vacation condo on Hilton Head Island.
It's cheap and it works.

73  -   Jim   K8MR