[VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds
From: km3t@contesting.com (Dave Pascoe KM3T)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:06 2003
On May 22, 2002 Kenneth E. Harker <kharker@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

> I'm not sure this is always true.  In 2000, W5KFT finished second in
> the limited multi-operator category in the ARRL June VHF QSO Party,
> and they had no pre-arranged skeds.

That's what happens when 6m is wide open from Texas.  :-)  Not sure this
is a valid or representative data point.  That being said, there are
many factors that go into a winning effort.  Most of the readers on this
reflector know what all those factors are, I'm sure.

I've been part of a few winning efforts, and though the skeds yielded some
neat mults, I wouldn't say those skeds guaranteed the win.  But they sure
didn't hurt.

This is an interesting discussion, but where are we going with it?  It
seems that the conclusions are that some people don't feel too bad about
making a few skeds to make things interesting and some would rather take
the high road.  There is nothing in the rules that prohibits skeds.  Is
there an implied suggestion that there should be?  If so, this should
probably be referred to the CAC for further study.  Whether that happens
or not, the debate is still interesting.

-Dave