[VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds
From: n6nz@n6nz.net (Dave N6NZ)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:07 2003
At 02:31 PM 5/23/02 -0400, Joel N. Weber II wrote:
>Does having a stack that can be switched by a relay to being a single
>yagi help with this?  And or using omnidirectional antennas?

Back when I was an active rover, I carried a small H-polarized omni for
2m and also a beam mounted to the roof rack (Ford rotator :-) -- my
experience was that for the most part, the omni lacked enough gain
to hear well enough that it brought me QSO's that I would have missed.
YMMV.

>   <snip>
>
>What strikes me as possibly sensible would be to allow the August UHF
>contest to use internet/telephone/packet skeds, but not allow it for
>the January/June/September VHF contest.

Interesting thought.  Different contests have different formats, for
very good reason.  Each appeals to different operators, favors/dis-favors
particular geographies, etc.  A mix is good. Variety is the spice and
all that. I can see a VHF operating event that emphasizes completing
DX QSO's, no matter how it was arranged, as having a special kind
of appeal.  Making it not a "rate game" but a "do you hear" game. Since
most people are computer logging these days, we could have the
software generate a 4 character random code word to be exchanged,
one which must be copied off the air to be a good QSO, (with no
confirmation via the coordination medium, etc.)  Combined with
distance based scoring it could be an interesting format... in fact
a slightly wacko idea that just struck me is you might score it on
the 10 (or so) most distant QSO's total mileage (per band), the rest
of the QSO's becoming check-log.  I can see where somebody in
the middle of fly-over land might like this format because it
gives them a fighting chance against the New Englanders.

OK, I'm rambling, now. Better unkey.

73, Dave N6NZ
CM87xi & CM97xm