[VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:07 2003
On Thu, 23 May 2002, Joel N. Weber II wrote:

>    My point is that VHF contests ARE different than HF contests for the many
>    reasons that others have already stated.  6 meters is a lot like 10 in
>    operating practice but as Bill K1DY notes, even 2 meters is quite different
>    and the UHF/microwave bands suffer mightily from the antenna "searchlight"
>    effect.  If both stations are not pointed at each other, they often cannot
>    hear each other and if either of them are not in the direction of a
>    population center, the chances they will point at each other are slim.
>
> Does having a stack that can be switched by a relay to being a single
> yagi help with this?  And or using omnidirectional antennas?

Maybe having a stacked array that can be switched to a single beam might
help. But you usually need all the gain you can get. I have worked
rovers using omni loops on 144, 222 and 432 but they're really
weak here.  Since I'm usually QRP, I'm guessing I'm even more weak at
their end.  The guys with good beams are much louder here and I usually
get QSO's with them once they get pointed my way.

"Going up the bands" becomes easier once you've got your beam on the other
station on 144, 222 or 432.  Makes it easier to align the beams/dishes for
the higher bands.

I've been using homebrew VHF/UHF beams optimized with Yagi Optimizer,
double checked on NEC and built so they can easily be carried around in a
car and rapidly assembled at the operating site.

On the microwave bands, the narrower the pattern, the better - within
limits.  You don't want it so narrow that you can't even find the other
guy.

73, Zack W9SZ