[VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:06 2003
On Wed, 22 May 2002, John Geiger wrote:

> Look at the activity level differences in those
> contests.  On HF, unless it is a single band contest,
> or I am a single band entry, I can get on and make
> plenty of QSOs any time of day or night on at least a
> couple of bands.  Not so on VHF!  At least in the
> Midwest, you can sit and listen for a couple of hours
> between QSOs, especially when conditions are flat-like
> they generally are for the Jan VHF contest.  Skeds
> help to break up the monotony some.  I have had a few
> successful Meteor scatter skeds on 6 meters during VHF
> contests, which gave me new grids.  As has been stated
> before, meteor scatter or EME can be very difficult on
> a random basis, unless there is a meteor shower going
> on-and no major showers correspond with VHF contests.

I have a hard time making skeds for VHF contests because most of my VHF
contesting is from hilltops and usually not for the entire duration of the
contest, so I don't know exactly when I will arrive and get set up. I
have to work the contest in around other things in my life sometimes.

I do enjoy going up the bands, though, once I work someone on 6 or 2.  But
here in east central Illinois, I listen to a lot of noise (Maybe it
should be "Illinoise"?  :-)  The two factors, propagation and someone
pointing his beam my way, don't always coincide.

I'd have nothing against skeds but they aren't a sure-fire guarantee of a
QSO.  Usually I leave it at "I'll look for you once in a while when I'm up
on the hill."

73, Zack W9SZ