[VHFcontesting] Rules changes to VHF contests

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rules changes to VHF contests
From: VE2ZP@rac.ca (Dave)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:19 2003
This thread addresses two concerns:
- increasing participation in current VHF contests
- possible changes to the rules of these contests.

These really are separate issues and one cannot cure one by
tackling the other.

Rules changes to the current ARRL VHF contests may well be
in order, but they are not likely to be the means to
increase activity.

I suggest the best way to increase activity and
participation is through promotion - through magazines,
on-air contacts, local club bulletins.  A well-organised
campaign can help bring more people in, and that would serve
us all well.

As for rules changes, I do like the distance-scoring idea.
It is used in RSGB and European contests as well as the more
local example of the Stew Perry 160m contest.  I reckon it
would do a lot for my piddling scores.

Despite not having a purpose-designed category for me, a
great location or a well-equipped station, I do plan to take
part in the September VHF contest on 50, 144, 222, 432 and
1296, scratching out every miserable QSO I can, because it's
fun.

Dave VE2ZP
FN25bj