[VHFcontesting] Get A Grip!

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Get A Grip!
From: k2txb@dxcc.com (Russ Pillsbury)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:21 2003
This comes under the heading of "don't ask".  Whoever told you that was
making sure that his answer could not come back to bite him (CYA).  But it
is ridiculous to say that a transmit only tracker is "assistance" because
someone else might see it and use it to know where a station is.

Using it for that purpose could possibly be a problem, but "might"???  That
is like a law saying you can't use a 250 hp engine in your car because you
"might" exceed the speed limit.

And so what if they do know where a rover is?  They still don't know if they
are even on the air, much less what band, frequency, antenna heading, etc.
And other stations do not use the tracker to contact the tracked station and
make a sked, etc.  If it should disqualify anyone, it should be the station
who uses the information to find you, not the person with the tracker.

I think the rules already cover this situation, the station that uses spots
on a dx-cluster is considered a multiop station rather than single-op.  If
the rover was also monitoring APRS to see where other rovers are, maybe he
would also be a multi-op.

73, Russ K2TXB