[VHFcontesting] Get A Grip!

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Get A Grip!
From: k2txb@dxcc.com (Russ Pillsbury)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:21 2003
KD7TS wrote:

> Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Get A Grip!

> Any way I've almost bitten through my tongue, but I have to
> respond to this:
>
> Jacob Tennant wrote:
> >
> > However I was told by the ARRL contest section that it would be
> considered
> > the same as packet assistance during a contest and would be disqualified
> > since others could see my location.
> Jacob, et al
>
> NO NO NO, surely the rules are written and understood. They are
> not subject to interpretation.  Packet operation, spotting nets
> etc are not allowed.

But the questions is "Not allowed for what?"  Certainly the intent of the
rules in disallowing packet operations is for use for spotting nets.  If he
is using it only for tracking, that is not spotting.  And it does not give
assistance to his station even if other stations were to use that info to
locate him.

Probably 80% of contacts made on the higher bands during contests are made
by operators advertising at length on 6 or 2 meters that they are looking
for UHF or microwave skeds.  The skeds are made and the exact location to
point, the frequency, sequencing are all known in advance of the attempt.
If this is to be allowed (and it surely is) then what is the justification
for not allowing people to merely discover the location of rovers via an
APRS tracker?

To carry the issue a bit further, I and many other stations often tell other
contest stations about the location, frequency, etc., of other stations
during a contest.  Sometimes we even set up skeds for third parties.  This
practice was the center of discussion a few years ago and we were assured at
that time that it was perfectly legal.  Compared to that, what's so bad
about someone discovering the location of a rover via an APRS tracker?

We should not take the position that "The rules are the rules are the rules
and they must be applied in the strictest sense, never questioned and never
changed".  When new techniques and technologies emerge, that were not even
dreamed of when the rules were made, it is time to examine the rules and
their intent and make changes where necessary.  Further if a majority of
contesters want a rule change the league will generally make it (albeit
slowly).

> APRS is framed with AX25 protocol so don't use it for a QSO

No one is even suggesting using it for a QSO.  And what does the protocol
have to do with that anyway?

> !! Don't solicit contacts on APRS. ( I don't know that it is possible )

I have a hard time seeing how tracking is soliciting contacts.  To me,
soliciting contacts is roaming around on FM repeater frequencies and asking
stations to go to simplex and work you for contest credit.  Historically
that is what the rule about soliciting contacts was made to prevent.

> K7CX is correct in his assessment of rule changes.. we don't need any more

That is up to the discretion of all of us.  Some may not agree.

73, Russ K2TXB