[VHFcontesting] Re: [DX] RFI/Power line noise problem

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: [DX] RFI/Power line noise problem
From: k5iid@ntelos.net (Tom Horton)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:23 2003
John,
There are a couple of reflectors that are dedicated to RFI/TVI type
problems.
There are numerous other things that can cause QRN. I have fought it for
years and finally had to take the local power company to administrative
court last spring.
Does you noise seem to go away when it rains? Is it worse in hot dry weather?
There are many things that can give more insight into what the problem
might be.
The reason the power company uses VHF frequencies is that the noise will not
travel as far at those frequencies. How far away from your location did
they check?
Noise that affects lower frquencies can travel quite a distance. In fact
noise on 80/160
can travel very long distances.
There are numerous other things that can cause QRN. Does the noise ever
affect just one frequency on a particular band? If so, it's not power line
noise.
Try sending your query to the following reflectors. You will probably need
to sign up on them,
however.

rfi@contesting.com and tvi-rfi-emi@qth.net

The folks on those reflectors are very helpful.

73, Tom K5iid