[VHFcontesting] Re: [Yaesu] RFI/Power line noise problem

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: [Yaesu] RFI/Power line noise problem
From: gzook@yahoo.com (Glen Zook)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:23 2003
You need to get with the ARRL and the FCC.  The FCC
has started coming down "hard" on power companies that
are causing problems.  However, your power company
seems to be willing to work with you, not like some
that have refused to assist.

Now, it could be sources other than the power company.
 The VHF "sniffer" normally locates in the high 90
percent of the source of the problems (like 98 or 99
percent).  I was with the telecommunications
department of a very large utility company for over 10
years (until they eliminated the department in 1999).
One of my jobs was to coordinate field personnel who
located RFI.

One major source of noise is loose hardware on the
poles.  Another is loose "tie wires" around "cross
over bells".  A third is loose connections on guy
wires and grounding wires.  However, these normally
show up the strongest in the VHF region.

If you can beg, borrow, steal (if you don't already
have one) a portable receiver that covers the 1.8 to
30 MHz range.  Tune this to the frequency at which the
noise is the strongest and then start walking your
neighborhood.  Remember that noise can be conducted by
the power line for a considerable distance.

There are all sorts of things like heating /
airconditioning thermostats, fish tank heaters, door
bell transformers, electric fences, and a thousand
other household and industrial items that can be the
source of problems.

Are there any signs, especially neon types, in the
area (like at a convenience store, gas station, etc.).
 Those are notorious for RFI.

The fact that the power company did come out with
their RFI locating equipment shows a willingness to
co-operate with you.

Now, you do realize that, especially during the summer
months, the inherent background static is much worse.
Often, especially on 160 and 80 meters, this can reach
well over S-9 (and this on a receiver with a
calibrated S-9 = 50 microvolts "S" Meter, not one of
the newer ones that 5 microvolts will give S-9).  On
40 and even 20 meters it can reach S-9.  This noise
level is why many amateurs do not even try to operate
on 160 and 80 until October or even November and cease
operating around May 1.

This noise is caused by all sorts of things, distant
thunderstorms not the least!

Glen, K9STH

--- John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com> wrote:

I called the local power company who came out to check
for power line noise-using some equipment that
received in the VHF range.  They found nothing from
power lines, but did locate 1 house several blocks
away that was throwing out some static

The power companies conclusion is "Sorry, it is not
our lines, we can do nothing more, good luck."

as it seems to me that most people with line noise
problems, get them in the lower HF range, not in the
VHF range like the power companies equipment tested.

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.attbi.com/~k9sth