[VHFcontesting] Re: [WSVHF] RFI/Power line noise problem

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: [WSVHF] RFI/Power line noise problem
From: k1uhf@snet.net (Del Schier K1UHF FN31)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:23 2003
Like most of us, I have been plagued with line noise for years.  I was
unsuccessful at my old QTH even though I knew it was the pole at the corner
of my driveway; shaking the pole would make the noise go on and off.  They
sent a guy out twice, he said he had no experience with this type of
problem, had no way of checking for it, but he tightened some connections.

The second time, at my present QTH, I had a beam heading for 10 over 9 noise
on 144. There were no power lines in that direction nothing but woods and a
lake. I went out with the 144 SSB mobile across the lake and found an area
within three or four poles that the noise was strongest.  I was sure it was
the same noise source as I cross band linked my receiver at home and could
hear it with an HT across the lake from home.  I shook a guy wire on a pole
and sure enough it went on and off.  I persistently called the power company
until I got a repair foreman instead of a clerk, I explained to him how I
found the noise and gave him the pole number.  He said that with the pole
number he could probably fix the problem. He told me when they were going
out but the problem was not fixed.  He said he would go back and that he
would go along with the guys.  The next time the problem was gone and it has
been for 5 or 6 years, at least in that direction.  It is interesting how
loud the noise was considering it was over a mile away.

BTW, I went back to those poles and they had removed all of the 100 year old
purple glazed ceramic insulators and had replaced them with new light gray
plastic ones.  This corresponds to what a CL&P representative said at a
radio club meeting. The guy that gave the talk showed us sophisticated DF
receivers and also a high directivity ultrasonic mic. that they use.  He
also said that all of the old insulators were prone to having a corona arc
over problem from years of collecting pollution from the air.

The moral to the story is get a technician on the phone, tell him how you
found the offending pole and make sure that you give him the pole number.

If you have an irresolvable problem send the details to w1rfi@arrl.org . Ed
Hare does not directly deal with this but he has an associate that does.
The ARRL will send a letter from the F.C.C. to the president of the power
and light company.  If the problem remains unresolved they will get a
similar letter directly from the F.C.C. and be required to comply.

Now if we could figure out how to get rid of the ever increasing number of
birdies from consumer electronics.

73, Del
K1UHF

Everything below 50MHz is D.C. !!!

FN31fh 6M, 2M, 222, 432, 903, 1.2, 2.3, 10.3.......144 EME
http://www.qsl.net/k1uhf
http://www.csflyers.org