[VHFcontesting] Re: RFI/Power line noise problem

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: RFI/Power line noise problem
From: STRutledge@oii.net (Steven Rutledge)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:23 2003
First, most of the power companies don't have the proper gear nor the
training.  Your case may be an exception.  In any event, IF their
equipment is working properly, they should be able to find the source,
even if it isn't there stuff.  Don't take no for an answer.  They have
not conclusively proven that it isn't their's.

Here is what I did though.....I got a Radio Shack scanner, PRO-43, that
received in AM.  I set it on the freq I was having trouble with and
found the source myself.  I carried a small sledge hammer with me.  When
I got to a pole that I thought was causing an issue, I smacked it with
the hammer.  If it interrupted the static, bulls-eye.  I did this in the
evening of course.  Your neighbors will think you are nuts although they
probably already do if they can see your antennas.

Stay on the power company.  They are under the gun.  HOWEVER, in one
instance here, the technician, who was very good, traced the problem to
an electro-static air cleaner.  He even knocked on the door of the
house, told them about it.  They turned it off and called a repairman.
Silent since and that was over four years ago.