[VHFcontesting] Digital modes

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Digital modes
From: ke3ht@lmrgroup.com (Tim (KE3HT))
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:44 2003
Has anyone heard from the ARRL yet as to the status of digital modes for
the June Contest? I would like to find any written documentation or
criteria from the ARRL that might define digital mode usage.

Please no-rumors, reply with a reference to ARRL written materials
(E-mail/Web sites) only.

I know Beacon net was approved (See ARRL announcement below). I also
know (via e-mail, I have a link below) that according to Dan (N1ND of
the ARRL) any digital mode that sends your location (lat/lon or grid) in
its CQ is considered self spotting and is illegal. This makes JT44 and
most other programs illegal. In my opinion Beacon net is illegal as well
but that was ruled acceptable. I am still concerned about all this.

Yes I have heard many non-ARRL authorities say that JT44 (for example)
is ok. Others have said that Packet (AX25), the subset of Beacon net and
APRS as well as a few other programs, is ok but the ARRL says they are
not. The only digital mode (really a program which is a layer above the
protocol), Beacon net, has been approved so far as far as I can see.

ARRL E-Mail that Lat/Lon or grid is illegal: (Dec 2002)
http://www.lmrgroup.com/ke3ht/rover/beaconet-ng-arrl.html

ARRL announces "New Concept in V/UHF Contesting" Beacon net(Feb 2003)
http://www.lmrgroup.com/ke3ht/beaconetok.html

Tim Ertl (KE3HT/r Pennsylvania)
ke3ht@lmrgroup.com
Rover: http://www.lmrgroup.com/ke3ht/rover