[VHFcontesting] Digital modes

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Digital modes
From: flowersa@alltel.net (Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:44 2003

> Lee Scott - AA1YN wrote
> Neither JT44 nor WSJT puts the grid or lat/lon into the CQ message so
> is not self spotting unless you deliberately put the info into the CQ
> message. PSK31 is the same way also.

Lee,
I'm not sure why adding your grid would make any difference.  Don't most
folks mention their grid when calling CQ?  It tells me which way the
turn the antenna when that weak CQ is coming in off the side, and it's
pretty common practice:  "CQ TEST K0SM/2 FN13 K."  I don't see how this
is "self-spotting" in any sense of the word.  Why would it be any
different with simplex digital modes, whether it is AX25, FSK441, or RTTY?

FWIW, many of the serious contesters have been using FSK441 in contests
for nearly 2 years now, before that it was HSCW.  It makes the wee hours
of the morning good for something other than sleep :-)

Andy K0SM/2