[VHFcontesting] Re: captive rovers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: captive rovers
From: David.B.Kunkee@aero.org (David B Kunkee)
Date: Tue Jul 29 14:31:32 2003
>  Look at what some of the large VHF groups have done
>  for the hobby. W2SZ, K8GP, N2WK, W3CCX, K3YTL etc. Populated relatively

>  unused bands, taught microwave station construction, repair and
>  operating practices to new hams, old hams and even potential hams.

This is a major point.  Big stations mean participation.  Recently I
found a opportunity to spend a weekend in the DC/PA/NJ area and a buddy
asked me about the UHF contest.  I didn't even know about the UHF contest
and I've participated in the June and September contests frequently for
the
past several years.  The first thing I did was go to QST to see the
results
and try to evaluate the level of activity and see whether it was worth it
to take some minimal gear with me and participate.  Big stations work a
lot
of QSOs because they have the equipment and location to do so, and I
pretty
much know I'll make some QSOs roving from the scores I saw over the last
few years.  So, yeah, because of that (and them) I think it'll be fun to
get
on.  And I will, of course, work everyone I can.

On another note, I've never considered it necessary for the 'absolute
value'
of the rover's score to be comparable to that of a single/multi-op station
- until
I was 'educated' about club competition.  So, what about two categories -
there's
the roving score, calibrated for whatever purpose it needs to be to other
scores,
and then another score (perhaps similar to the rover scores prior to 1992)
for
"rover only" comparisons.  Kind of like racing - in the Indianapolis 500
there
are really two races - the race for the pole, and then the race itself.
Between
the racing teams, getting the pole means something.
Oh well - I am sure it's an old thread...

73 Dave, K0DI