[VHFcontesting] Re: captive rovers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: captive rovers
From: johngeig@yahoo.com (John Geiger)
Date: Tue Jul 29 15:01:52 2003
Here is a situation which could definitely come up, if
it hasn't already.  Here in Lawton, OK we have a nice
VHF friendly mountain (Mt. Scott) north of town about
10 miles.  Has a parking lot on top with plenty of
space to set up, and is about 1000 feet above the
average terrain.

We also live near the grid intersection of EM04, EM05,
EM14 and EM15.  Now supposed I decide to get on, say,
3.4 ghz which has no local activity, except for WB5AFY
who is at the other end of the grid square.  Suppose I
have a friend who also gets on 3.4g, and he likes
roving.  Maybe we also both have Icom T81A HTs, so we
can use 1.2g FM also.  I go to the top of Mount Scott,
and he roves in the 4 different grids, giving me QSOs
on 1.2 and 3.4g.  He doesn't work anyone else on those
bands because there is no one else on 3.4g, and the
only other person on 1.2g who is in the city of Lawton
cannot hear him as I can from the mountain top.

Now, is he a captive rover?  Should our QSOs not count
because they are all uniques?  Should I be punished
for getting my station and another up on a new band?
I have operated from Mt.Scott before using 1.2g from a
T81A, and worked Ron, AB5GH/R (now AF5Q) on 1.2g in
EM04, EM05 and EM14 also using his T81A.  We just
missed on EM15.  part of the reason I bought the T81A
was for such contest operations.  I just cannot afford
a 23cm SSB station at the current time, but am looking
for another T81A to have for future operations
(mistakenly sold the one I had).  I am  not sure that
Ron worked anyone else on 23cm because no one in
Lawton could hear him.

So, should we create a rule that throws out good QSOs
on a new band you spend money to get on?  I don't
think so, but would be interested in hearing others
opinions.

BTW, lets have some evidence that this capative rover
thing is really going on.  How many such logs are
really being sent in?

73s John NE0P