[VHFcontesting] captive rovers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] captive rovers
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Tue Jul 29 16:36:58 2003
I think the issue comes down to the fact that a "captive rover" doesn't
work anyone else than the station he's "captivated" by.  It's great that
someone wants to invest time and money to put together stations for others
to use so they can have someone to work on the higher bands.  I'm thinking
of doing that myself.  I've even begun building additional transverters
for 3456 and 5760 MHz to loan out.  But once having done that, I'd expect
the people who borrow them to work others besides me if at all possible.

"If at all possible" could be the other key here.  If two of us (I and the
guy I loan the gear to) have the capability of working say 100 miles with
the equipment and there just aren't any other stations within 100 miles to
work, then the one who roves is going to only be in my log on those bands.
I could say to anyone who challenges us, "Well, get busy and get on those
bands so you can work us.  We'll work you if you're there."

OTOH, if a rover station happens by who could work me and just refuses,
that's not very sporting and not in the spirit of the contest.  I would
call THAT something else than "competitive".

73, Zack W9SZ