[VHFcontesting] captive rovers = Red Herring

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] captive rovers = Red Herring
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree)
Date: Wed Jul 30 00:13:01 2003
> The biggest reason I enjoy roving is that I live in a deed-restricted
> community, and can't put up antennas.  Roving allows me to get on and be
> active.  In my quest to learn more about rovering, I've contacted a LOT of
> other rovers I've met on this and other reflectors.  I have yet to meet one
> who's goal was to be captive.  Everyone I've talked to has been very
> supportive, and encouraged me to keep improving my station. My guess is, if
> the Captive rover does exist, they are in the extreme minority.  I just wish
> we had 10,000 rovers on the air.

I am glad you enjoy roving.

Yes, the captive ones are in the minority, but as the K5TR
example showed, it doesn't take a lot of them to have a major
impact to a score.

They do exist.  I have seen several examples of it poking around
in the June VHF logs.  I am one of the log checkers for the ARRL
and have access to the logs.  This is not a red herring!!

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net