Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes [was:Stupi

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes [was:Stupid Categories ...]
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:09:22 -0500
Zack Widup wrote:

> > o Antenna: number of elements
> > o RF Output: PEP output
> >
> > Multiply (number of elements in your antenna) X (RF Output, PEP)=ERP factor
> >
> > Antenna elements x RF output      ERP-factor
> > --------------------------------- -------
> > Halo & 160-watt amp =                 160
> > 4-element beam & 25 watts =           100
> > 9-element beam & 160-watts =        1,440
> > 4-halo's & 300-watt amp =           1,200
> > 13-element beam & 160-watt amp =    2,080
> > 2x13 element beam & 160-watt amp =  4,160
> > 18-element beam & 300-watt amp =    5,400
> > 4x9 element beams & 600-watt amp = 21,600
> >

> It is the length of the boom, rather than the number of elements, that
> determines the gain of the antenna.

Yes, of course you're right but it's easier to count antenna elements than it is
to remember the length of a boom (and is much more auditable by simple
independent observation).

Additionally, element counting encourages us to use antennas that are more
efficient (advancing the technical art!), just as you have done.  If I'm
counting out 26-elements (2x13) and multiplying by 160-watts (and assuming the
"pivot" point is 4,100), I'd better be getting every possible dB out of those 13
elements because I'm competing in the "Unlimited" category either way.

By the way...ditto for feedline.  One can run RG58-u or LDF7-50.  Either way,
I'm competing with the big boys. :)  This system encourages us to get better
with each contest...not to restrict what we do or what we report.

(Element count) x (RF Output) = Entry Category is a great way to categorize our
efforts without compromizing our future by encouraging less band-participation
or band-reporting.

Ev Tupis, W2EV
--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.