Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:28:44 -0800 (PST)
On Dec 14, 2003, at 8:09 AM, Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:

> (Element count) x (RF Output) = Entry Category is
> a great way to categorize our
> efforts without compromizing our future by
> encouraging less band-participation
> or band-reporting.

I'm not sure I agree, while it may not discourage
adding new bands for a better score it will discourage
the building of a better station as far as antennas
go. The last thing we want to do is discourage the
building of a better overall station, which is
normally done by adding more bands and/or improving
performance with better antennas, feedlines, and
equipment.

For example using antenna element (or gain) X power
would give HT's an huge correction factor. And then
for example taking this to the extreme a small group
of 100 or so ops all with tri and quad band HT's
roving around a grid corner and doing the classic
"grid dance" could completely win a VHF contest, - and
do it without ever making Q over few miles in
distance. Even if they were not "rovers" and there
were 25 ops in each grid they would still rack up a
big score quickly and easily. So is ERP-based scoring
the direction we really want to push VHF contesting
towards?

I suppose the negative effects of such a scheme could
be largely offset by using a distance based scoring
element, that way emphasis is shifted back towards
trying to figure out how to make our stations better
and more capable rather than trying figure out how to
fill a barrel with fish to shoot. It is the pushing of
the limits for our equipment and shack layout that
drives us toward adding new bands and adding better
equipment like radios, antennas and/or power. A
distance based scoring element will do more for
achieving that than trying level the playing field by
limiting the number of bands or adding score
correction factors for our equipment capability.

Additionally a distance based scoring system that is
based on 6 digit grid square contest exchanges is more
enforceable because all of the required data is
already in the logs that would be submitted. Arguably
the current scoring scheme does already reward longer
distance q's by the virtue of higher multiplier
totals, however its granularity is too coarse,
especially so for the higher bands.

Duane
N9DG