Re: [VHFcontesting] Another Example [was: A suggestion for ERP-basedEnt

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Another Example [was: A suggestion for ERP-basedEntry Classes]
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:15:39 -0500
Zack Widup wrote:
> > > The more I think about it, the more complicated it gets.

> > Surprisingly, ERP-based calculation stays simple.  All one must do is
> > determine the "ERP Factor" pivot point that makes the most sense for
> > a given band.

> > A. 2-watts to a 55 Element 1296 Loop yagi = 110
> > H. 65-watts to 4x 45 Element 1296 Loop yagi array = 11,700
> > The question becomes...what should the Pivot Point be for 1296?

> It's not so easy.  Calculate how far the above figures will actually get
> you distance-wise.  Each band is going to be different.

Of course! :)  The physics of RF comes into play (including the physics of band
conditions, QSB, etc.) as a variable anyway -- as does operator skill.  That is
why I've also said that the challenge is to establish the Pivot Point and that
doin so is as much an art as a science.  Once it is established by the
sponsoring organization, the calculation to determine entry category is trivial.

Ev, W2EV

--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.