[VHFcontesting] Example of a real-world calculation [was: Asuggestion fo

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Example of a real-world calculation [was: Asuggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes]
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:50:38 -0500
wbr wf4r wrote:
>     I have been very fortunate to have been declared Roanoke Division  winner
> of the ARRL August UHF Contest for the last three years.  My success can only
> be accounted for the fact that I have 2x 4329WL antennas @ 85' and only run 60
> Watts out of the brick amplifier.  Not that my score was all that great, but
> if I had been forced into the high power catagory just because of the
> antennas, it would not have been.

Bill,
No one said that your antenna system would put you in the HP or "S/O Unlimited"
category.  Your ERP factor would be calculated as...
 (56 elements) * 60 watts = 3,360

Assuming that the same pivot point exists as for 2-meters (4,100), then you are
still considered Low Power (or S/O Limited).  Nothing changes!  Again though...I
need to repeat myself... the selection of "pivot point" needs to be made with
forethought to be meaningful.

Ev, W2EV

--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.