[VHFcontesting] What's the loophole? [was: A suggestion for ERP-based En

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] What's the loophole? [was: A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes]
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:43:41 -0500
wbr wf4r wrote:
>   Dana, N1FOZ, said it best
> "I personally think that going to an ERP based class system would be
> very confusing.  In order to make sure no one exploits a big loop hole
> the rules would get VERY complex."

What loophole?

The "formula" is no more complex than the one that you had to memorize to get
your license in the first place, be it 468/f or P=(I^2)R.

Compare what you have today to the ERP Proposal:

===== Today's Rules =====
What is your 2m RF Output at the shack end of the coax?
If RF Output < 200 watts, then you are Low Power
Else, you are High Power
=========================

-compared to-

===== ERP Proposal =====
(Count your elements) x (2m RF Output) = ERP Factor
If ERP Factor < 4,100, then you are Low Power
Else, you are High Power
========================

One simply needs to determine if 4,100 is the right "pivot point" between entry
classes.  It can be anything (and different for each band, just like RF Output
is now).

The "loophole" is in the present system: 160-watts into a moonbounce array is
considered Low Power, and can compete head-to-head with all you poor saps
running 150-watts to a 13b2.  350-watts into a 4-element beam is considered High
Power.  It's a poor system to categorize single operator stations.

This "loophole" is closed in an ERP-based system.  In the first example,
160-watts into 4x 4218 = 11,520 (obviously belongs in the HP [or "S/O
Unlimited"] class, no?) while 350-watts into a 4-element beam = 1,400 (obviously
belongs in the LP [or "S/O Limited"] class, no?).

Please...what is the ERP-based loophole that you refer to?

Ev, W2EV
--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.