Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes[was:Stupid

To: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes[was:Stupid Categories ...]
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:02:09 -0600
On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 08:09:22AM -0500, Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:

> (Element count) x (RF Output) = Entry Category is a great way to categorize
> our efforts without compromizing our future by encouraging less band-
> participation or band-reporting.

This formula is FAR more complicated than using an RF output threshold for
categories.  Nobody is going to adopt this.

And why would you want people to limit (of all things) their antennas?
Putting up multiple antennas per band is a FAR better way to improve your
chances of making QSOs than going from 150 to 1500 watts out.  I think
you are trying to encourage people not to invest in big antenna systems, Ev.
I think every one should have the best antenna systems they can come up with.
Ya know - use-it-or-lose-it.