[VHFcontesting] Another Example [was: A suggestion for ERP-based Entry C

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Another Example [was: A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes]
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:09:20 -0500
Zack Widup wrote:
> The more I think about it, the more complicated it gets.  Has anyone
> mentioned path loss yet?  Path losses skyrocket as you go up the bands.

Surprisingly, ERP-based calculation stays simple.  All one must do is determine
the "ERP Factor" pivot point that makes the most sense for a given band.  Let's
use some real examples (just like the one for 432 that was cited in an earlier
email):

A. 2-watts to a 55 Element 1296 Loop yagi = 110
B. 2-watts to  4x 45 Element 1296 Loop yagi array = 360
C. 9-watts to a 55 element 1296 Loop yagi = 495
D. 9-watts to  4x 45 Element 1296 Loop yagi array = 1,620
E. 18-watts to a 55 element 1296 Loop yagi = 990
F. 18-watts to 4x 45 Element 1296 Loop yagi array = 3,240
G. 65-watts to a 55 element 1296 Loop yagi = 3,575
H. 65-watts to 4x 45 Element 1296 Loop yagi array = 11,700

The question becomes...what should the Pivot Point be for 1296?  In some ways,
it's as much art as it is science.  In this case, maybe it should be 1,000?
Establishing a meaningful Pivot Point is the 'pivotal' part of this proposal. :)

Once determined by the ARRL, the calculation is e-a-s-y.  This is not unlike the
way the rules read now, with different power pivot levels for each band.

Ev, W2EV

--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.