Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:31:11 -0500
Duane Grotophorst wrote:
> > (Element count) x (RF Output) = Entry Category is a great way to
> > categorize our efforts without compromizing our future by encouraging
> > less band-participation or band-reporting.
>
> I'm not sure I agree, while it may not discourage adding new bands for a
> better score it will discourage the building of a better station as far as
> antennas go.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't follow this.  How would I be
discouraged from building a better antenna system?  I'd see it as making sure
that the station was well-tuned for the antenna system that I have.  If I have
13 elements, I'd want it to show 13 dB of gain and not 10 dB of gain.

> For example using antenna element (or gain) X power would give HT's an huge
> correction factor. And then for example taking this to the extreme a small
> group of 100 or so ops all with tri and quad band HT's roving around a grid
> corner and doing the classic "grid dance" could completely win a VHF contest

Grid dancing is an entirely different issue.  Maybe the topic for a different
thread.

Ev, W2EV
--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.