[VHFcontesting] Rover Scheds and Station Activity emails

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rover Scheds and Station Activity emails
From: "jon jones" <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:37:46 +0000
I'm not intending to pick on anyone....simply inform the masses.

How many of us actually print out published rover schedules? How many Rovers
keep their schedules fully? Rhetorical....I'm not asking for answers because I
know what the answers are. A few people do, but most of us don't.

Ev:

Some rovers *do* keep to their schedule. Dean, WAØTKJ, who was one of the very first VHF Contest rovers, would go out over 800 miles in a contest weekend back in the early 90s. He would be + - 15 minutes on each grid he put on the air. Keeping to a published schedule is a matter of careful trip planning and diligence.

Ditto email messages that say, "I'm going to be on ABCD9E from Grid AB12CD with
medium power, look for me in the contest".

If a rare grid is QRV from a direction I do not normally CQ or listen, it helps me to know it is on for the contest and what type of power/antennas are planned.

One tool for this is HamIM. It works very well. No need to pre-publish a
schedule (unless y'r braggin'). No need to keep to a schedule (unless you don't
mind abandoning a band opening in progress, etc.). Simply setup on your hilltop
and send a few HamIM CQ's.

All a rover needs (at a minimum) is a laptop, packet TNC and software. NO GPS
NEEDED (you can manually update the software with your grid when you move).

HamIM may be a useful adjunct. I do not use a laptop when QRP (S/O portable) or roving due to reliability and battery issues. Log pencil and paper. Others I know do the same.

- Jon N0JK