Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL kills VHF, Should we let them?

To: James Hayes <jhayes9424@charter.net>,vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL kills VHF, Should we let them?
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:32:28 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Jim,

I came up with this idea since they said the contest
changes were deemed by a decline in log submissions.
It seems like they just look at the total number of
logs, and maybe a big decline following the rule
changes might get their attention.  Then again, it
might not.

I am not sure that calling them or writing letter will
do much good.  It hasn't seemed to before.  I spoke
with my section manager before they removed the
contest line scores from QST and expressed my
displeasure.  He told me it was already a done deal.
Lots of good expressing my views did.  When our
current section manager was campaigning he came to our
local club.  I asked him exactly how he was going to
serve as a link between the individual in his section
and the ARRL.  He couldn't answer me but did string
together some response which amounted to "I won't".
After he was elected, I expressed my view about the CW
requirement removal when he came to visit our club
again.  He let me know that he shared a different view
than I did.  I am sure my view never made it beyond
him.

The other way to get the ARRLs attention is to cancel
your membership.  I could live without QST, but the
outgoing QSL bureau sure is nice, and I do like
chasing DXCC and VUCC endorsements.

73s John NE0P