Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL kills VHF, Should we let them?

To: James Hayes <jhayes9424@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL kills VHF, Should we let them?
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:24:30 -0500
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 01:55:00PM -0400, James Hayes wrote:
> QUESTION:
> Regarding this recent thread...why should we let them? Aren't  there are
> other  groups out there that could support our VHF contesting efforts? Why
> not try and solicit them?

The ARRL is not the only game in town - CQ Magazine sponsors a VHF contest,
the East Tennessee DX Association sponsors some, and does SMIRK and a few
other obscure clubs.  The ARRL has just been _by far_ the most successful
VHF contest sponsor for North America.  They spend the most money on VHF
contest sponsorship, and over the years have hit upon the best formulas
for rules, event times, etc.

The ARRL has introduced a lot of cool innovations to VHF contesting -
such as the Rover station.  If you have the attitude that any rule change
is a bad rule change, you'd never have had a rover class today.

> Other than that why not email everyone we know who does the VHF contesting
> and have them email the h#$@ our of the ARRL until the take notice that we
> don't want our fun to go away.

This is, in fact, exactly what the VHF Awards subcommittee of the Membership
Service Committee has asked that ARRL members do - provide feedback on
the proposals.

> Ya know...politics really suck the life out of all of us, but it shouldn't
> be a part of amateur radio in any form except to work as a liason between us
> and the FCC. I get so tired of everyone whining about this cause and that
> cause using 'political correctness' as an excuse to get stupid bills passed
> that won't do anyone any good...like Megan's Law, I can't see where one
> person has been saved or even warned about those predators.

Ah yes, the completely irrelevant rant technique of persuasive agrument...

> I guess what I'm trying to say is we all have to make our voices heard, as
> they are ELECTED OFFICIALS aren't they?

Yes, they are.  Unlike CQ Magazine, the ARRL is run by a representative
structure.

>                                         And as elected officials they are
> supposed to do as we recommend.

I'm an ARRL member, and I recommend that they adopt several of the many
proposals.  There, now it's a done deal.

>                                  Because without US there IS no Amateur
> Radio. Lets stay a band of brothers and sisters, "...united we stand divided
> we fall."
> Anyway, enough said for this round...what are your views, comments
> questions, flames etc???
>
> Jim, N2YEV
> FN34gs, Plattsburgh, NY
> Six Club #1663, SMIRK #6480