Re: [VHFcontesting] Insights to Consider

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Insights to Consider
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:54:26 -0400
Imagine the outcry in the HF community if the committee that heavily influenced THEIR future was made up of Technician-class operators. <giggle>

Kenneth Harker replied:
This implies that the committee looking into potential VHF contest rules changes lacks the qualifications to do so. I think this is patently false.

/cajole on
The only thing that is patently false is your statement that twists my words out -of-context, resulting in the appearance that I am am individually impugning the reputation of those involved in the process. So I guess I agree with you. :)
/cajole off

By reading my original message, you will note that I did NOT address their reputation negatively and in fact stated that their intent was honorable. I believe that each is an Amateur Radio Patriot...doing what others can't (or won't) do. I tip my hat to each individually and as a group.

What you seemed to miss is the perceptive-undercurrent that VHF+ decisions are being made within an HF context. This doesn't work. The issues are different. I believe that HF contests get 10k+ logs because the contests are designed for HF operation. I believe that VHF contests get 2.5k logs because they are designed for HF operation and just tweaked a little. Turn the tables and I believe that HF contests would be at the 2.5k level and VHF would be at the 10k+ level.

I am simply suggesting that somebody (most probably those people who have already been charged by the MSC) would be best served to step back, take a breath and "re-tool" by not being afraid to untether from their HF roots when examining a 21st century VHF-centric world.

Someone (or group of someone's) needs to be a risk taker, a leader, a visionary. Willing to think for the future rather than appeasing the aging masses of the present. That is how business survives. That is how we will, too.

Ev Tupis, W2EV