Re: [VHFcontesting] Insights to Consider

To: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Insights to Consider
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:10:36 -0500
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 07:58:02PM -0400, Ev Tupis wrote:

> >OK, what would you do differently?
>
> As a start, I would ask "why?".  I would go rule-by-rule and ask "why does
> this rule exist?" and "what is accomplished by this rule?"
>
> Times have changed.  Personnel at the ARRL has changed.  The folks that are
> there have little "organizational memory" on some items...and because they
> don't operate VHF contests themselves, have little experience to rely upon
> when attempting to render judgement on (apparent) rules infractions.

Again, you have this wierd idea that the "personnel at the ARRL" know
nothing about VHF or VHF contesting.  I dare say K1JX has won a lot more
VHF contests than you have, KM0T and W5ZN are much higher than you in the
VHF+ standings, and W3ZZ knows a whole lot more than you about how to
manage a contest and how people try to cheat at them.  As I said in a
operators and they _do_ know a thing or two about VHF weak signal
operation.  Why do you keep wanting to convince people otherwise?

> This is only a first step of a multi-step process.  I think that the
> "cheese" has moved, and "we" didn't realize it.  It's time to go into the
> maze and find out where it is. ;)

I suggest that you engage yourself in this exercise and report back your
findings to the reflector.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com