Re: [VHFcontesting] Insights to Consider

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Insights to Consider
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:14:27 EDT
A couple of other observations on VHF contests:

The inverse corelation of HF and VHF activity is not at all  surprising.
Over the past few years I have not been as active in VHF  contests as I was
back
in 1996 or so.  But soon, maybe even by this fall,  I'll be able to work more
people on 6 and 2 meters in a VHF contest than I will  be able to work on 15
and 10 meters in a DX contest.  This was certainly  not true in 1999!

With a mediocre station, which may be solely the result of a mediocre
location (e.g. elevation and other terrain factors) it can be very discouraging
hear very close by stations working stuff you can't even hear, and then
telling them "you're S9++ here at my location".

A few months back, K8CC clearly pointed out that to get  the IC-706 crowd
into VHF contests, what is needed most is a simple,  easy to install, good
performing, multi band VHF antenna.  Sort of a  TH-6DXX for VHF.

73  -  Jim   K8MR